November 26, 2009

the last lecture


I'm so blessed to be able to bring you the review of a special book. The Last Lecture (Achieving Childhood Dreams) by Randy Pausch may be a small book in size, but it carries a powerful punch to the hill of troubles in our life. I am attracted to this book about a month ago (tell me I've been living under the rock!) the moment I read through the synopsis. Credit to Jalilah for lending me this amazing book and for letting me know how beneficial this book is :).





Synopsis


This book outlines the lecture called Achieving Childhood Dreams by Randy Pausch, a computer science professor at Carnegie Melon University. What made this lecture so special as to become publish in a book was that, when Professor Pausch gave the lecture, he was suffering from a terminal cancer, facing a death (sort of death sentence, me think) - in fact, it was his last lecture, which would remain as the very last legacy of Pausch's life and career. In this lecture, he went onto preach about dream, hope and life. From his anecdotes on his life experiences, his thoughts and beliefs, Randy Pausch encourages the readers to live their life to the fullest. 




Personal response


This book is definitely one of the most influential and motivating books I've ever encountered. And for good reason, this book also serves a list of things he wanted his 3 kids to know about him and some advices since he wouldn't be around to deliver them. And for this, I feel like, somehow, I've been reading an advice from someone who is very close to me.


Now, instead of thinking what should I not do, I learn about what should I do, what kind of attitude I should adopt and what to pursue in my life. His lecture definitely motivates me to work harder (do I sound rhetoric here? whatever!), and helps me to get through ups and downs, which he quoted as 'The wall is not there for no reason. It is there for you to prove how badly you want something' (sounds something like this laa). Overall, the book covers much of different aspects of lives and it gives a lot of tips and advices to lead a meaningful life. It is very inspiring for me and I would recommend this book to anyone who needs some sort of motivation and inspiration in life.


I savored this book during the stolen moment between classes, group discussions and chores last month. This book is like an open, protecting and cozy thing to read. I, in a very humble mode, so dearly wanted to be moved by this book. In fact, I've bought one right after finishing the entire book. And I bought it for that exact reason. I wanted something to make me keep on going. I want to live my life to the fullest! (Ya Allah, please guide me).


There are so many nuggets of wisdom scattered here and there in this book. Here are some examples I quote from the book which I like best:



  • Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want (oh, how cool is that!).
  • We cannot change the card we are dealt, just how we play the hand.
  • It's not helpful if we spend everyday dreading tomorrow.

Tips to improve group collaboration:



> meet people properly.
> find things you have in common.
> try for optimal meeting conditions.
> let everyone talk.
> praise each other.

  • Go out and do for others what somebody did for you.
  • Halfhearted or insincere apologies are always worse than not apologizing at all because the recipients will find them insulting.
  • Brick walls are there for a reason. And once you get over them - even if someone has practically had to throw you over - it can be helpful to others to tell them how you do it.


I just can't tell you more. Go get one copy from the bookstore and you will find it's worth spending! That's all I would like to share in this entry. I'll let you know if I've read any other fabulous book, okay? But, only if I'm really into writing about the book la hehe ^-^

p/s: you will get use to my -only if-, -i promise-, -i will- and etc etc. you know what do they mean, right?


No comments:

Post a Comment

. snape's potion class : in memories . :'(

. dumbledore's army .