April 13, 2010

engaging writing


Cause-and-Effect Essay.

Tittle : The real reason people should stop smoking.


So, yesterday I went to a convenience store to pick up a bottle of shampoo, but since the store near to my place did not sell (at least for yesterday) the shampoo I normally use, and there were so many to choose from, I had to open every bottle and smell it first. 


Then I read every word printed on the bottle, and then compared two bottles at a time until I was satisfied enough to make a purchase. Basically, it would take about the same amount of time for me to compare the products as it does for a doctor to perform appendectomy. 


As I was reading all the fine print on the bottles, two women came running abruptly into the store. And straight away headed to the shampoo aisle. Although the store was really crowded, it was fairly quiet until these two women started to speak. I was not sure if that explosive sound I heard was the word coming from their lips, or it was Krakatoa erupting again. 


To make things worse, she (either one of them or both, I was not sure) smelled like a six-foot cigarette. The lingering smoker's stench was so strong and it was interfering my shampoo-sniff-test. I slowly tried to move away from them, but they kept inching closer and closer to me like I had just given them an open invitation to come and share my kidneys.


One of them kept on asking the other why they made different shampoo for men and women, and she was talking like 20 decibels louder than our normal threshold of hearing. Like,

"WHAT'S THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN MY HAIR AND MAN'S HAIR? WHY CAN'T I USE MAN'S SHAMPOO? IS OUR HAIR REALLY THAT DIFFERENT?"


I wanted to climb up her leg so I could reach her eardrum and be all,

"Who cares! Just buy the one that smells good, which is what I am trying to do, but I can't because you smell like a rotten tobacco, and that's so distracting!"


Finally, the lady found a hair product (woman's) she liked, but it was a conditioner. So she started to yell,

"WHERE'S THE SHAMPOO?! WHERE'S THE SHAMPOO?! WHERE'S THE SHAMPOO?!"


And I was not trying to kid you. She literally shouted it THREE TIMES. I could not take her bizarre (yet mildly amusing) behaviour any longer. So, I just got in line and decided to buy the shampoo I had in my hand. And only to find out later that I don't like anything about the shampoo, especially not the smell.


Did you hear that, Smokers? Now, I will be using shampoo that smells bad at least for another 6 weeks. May be you should think about that the next time you want to light up. 


Oh, and also, your lungs might disintegrate. But you've probably already heard that one.




Edited after being published:
p/s: Engaging Writing is the title of my text book. Don't get me wrong.





No comments:

Post a Comment

. snape's potion class : in memories . :'(

. dumbledore's army .